Seahouses RNLI Lifeboat Station, Seafield Road, Seahouses, Northumberland NE68 7SH. Tel: 01665 720370

Seahouses RNLI Lifeboat Station

Launch Report 003-004/2018


At 14:20hr on Tuesday 12th June 2018, UK Coastguard requested the assistance of Seahouses Lifeboat Crew, to assist the local coastguard team with a female who had suffered a pelvic injury, following a fall on a local passenger vessel. She was conscious but in great pain, and required pain relief which the Lifeboat Crew can administer. One of the crew, who is a local doctor, was also on the station for crew training, and was able to respond immediately. The passenger vessel was already alongside at Seahouses Harbour.

The Ambulance Service had given a delayed response for an ambulance, due to a high call demand. The casualty was given pain relief aboard the boat, and carefully transferred to a stretcher, and carried to the lifeboat station, to await an ambulance. The doctor remained with her, until arrival of an ambulance, which took her to hospital at Cramlington.

As the ambulance was leaving at 15.20hr, UK Coastguard requested the launch of Seahouses All Weather Lifeboat, to convey the ambulance HART (Hazardous Area Rescue Team), from Seahouses to Holy Island, to treat a seriously ill female. The Lifeboat quickly launched and stood by till arrival of the HART Team, who were transported at 16:00hr to Holy Island. On arrival they were met by the local Coastguard Team, who took them to the casualty’s location.

The casualty was treated by the ambulance personnel and stabilised. The tide was falling, and it was possible for a road ambulance to cross the causeway and convey the female to hospital. The HART team were then brought back to Seahouses on the lifeboat, while two of the team went with the casualty on the road ambulance.

Seahouses Lifeboat Operations Manager Ian Clayton added, “Both incidents showed good co-operation between the emergency services involved, and the UK Coastguard Operations Room. They were the type of jobs RNLI crews train for, and we hope both casualties can make a good recovery. What started as a routine training afternoon, turned into a busy day.”

Photo shows the HART Team boarding the Lifeboat at Seahouses