Seahouses RNLI Lifeboat Station, Seafield Road, Seahouses, Northumberland NE68 7SH. Tel: 01665 720370

Seahouses RNLI Lifeboat Station

Launch Report 016 & 017/2017


At 07:51hr on Friday 14th July 2017, UK Coastguard requested the immediate launch of both Seahouses Lifeboats, to go to the assistance of a 26ft yacht with three persons and a dog on board. The yacht had run aground on the gravel outcrop at Holy Island, near the haven, known as the Rigg, and was unable free itself.

The Lifeboats were launched and made best speed to the casualty’s location, and Holy Island Coastguard Rescue Team were also mobilised. On arrival of the lifeboats, it was established that all on board were safe and well. The yacht was a twin hull design with twin keels, and was safely sitting upright on the gravel. The tide was falling quite quickly, and it was impossible for the lifeboats to try and tow the craft off without causing serious damage. After consultation with the yacht crew, who were in no danger, it was agreed that they be left in situ. The lifeboats would return when the tide was rising again later today, to stand by and assist the yacht to free itself.

The Lifeboats then returned to station, and were ready for service again at 10.45hr, and will be returning to the yacht at 17:00hr today.

Photos show  the yacht below Lindisfarne Castle and the ILB alongside

Launch Report 018 & 019/2017


At 17:00hr on Friday 14th July 2017, both lifeboats relaunched, and returned to the yacht to assist it to free itself on tonight’s high tide. The tide was tonight was slightly lower than this morning, so if the yacht could not be freed, it could be marooned for a week at least till the tides start to pick up again. At the point of high tide, the yacht was still not refloating. With some wash generated by the lifeboats, it was finally possible to gently tow the yacht clear. Care had to be taken to prevent any damage to the yacht’s hull. The yacht, once finally clear, was escorted to Holy Island harbour, where it was met by the local Coastguard Rescue Team. After a friendly chat between the Coastguard, yacht crew and lifeboat crews, both Seahouses Lifeboats returned to station at 20.30hr that night. A slightly difficult job, but with a successful conclusion.

The Yacht, finally clear of the shingle bank, being escorted into Holy Island Harbour, to be met by the Coastguard Rescue Team and Harbour Master.

A relieved Yacht skipper we suspect !